Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Special Deliveries & A Tasty Way To Enjoy Radishes

A lot has been happening around here lately, the most important being two recent special deliveries. Well, one REALLY special delivery, and one fun, delicious one.

The big one, if you haven't guessed, has been the arrival of my little baby boy, Henry, two months ago. He's been keeping things hopping around here, and though it feels like I haven't slept in twenty years, it's all completely worth it. Baby food books have been purchased, and I am excited for the day that I am able to cook for this little guy.

The other special delivery was something I had been meaning to do for a long time. I ordered a CSA (community supported agriculture) box from a local company, and had fresh, local and organic fruits and vegetables delivered right to my door. It arrived at 5:00 am, but never mind that (I was up, after all).

As you can see above, the box was bursting with produce, but, as you can see below, I became the proud owner of more greens than I knew what to do with.

I wish I could tell you I whipped up a zillion recipes using these greens, but all I really had time to do was eat a lot of really great salads (not too shabby). I also gave away the chard, which was a tough decision, but one I had to make as I didn't want it to go bad, and I didn't have the time to make the lasagna I usually put chard into. Which reminds me, if scheduling, and cooking, permits, I have a great lasagna idea to tell you about.

So, other than eating acres of greens, I also enjoyed carrots, cauliflower, heirloom tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage and radishes.

I plan to become a frequent subscriber to the CSA box, and, not meaning to stand on a soapbox, encourage you to investigate if this is something that is offered in your area. It's a great way to support local agriculture, and what's not to love about it being delivered right to your door?

Now, about those radishes.

Besides enjoying them on salads of all sizes, I also enjoyed them a way that I hear a lot about. It goes something like this:

Cut the radishes into paper-thin slices
Butter a chunk of crusty french bread
layer on the radish slices
sprinkle with sea salt
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment