Thursday, March 12, 2009

Darn Good Chocolate Bundt Cake

I went out today and spent an obscene amount of money. Well, an obscene amount of money for me...so, really, not too much. But I went out shopping to celebrate the fact that I just got a job! A friend asked me what the office dress code is and since I answered "probably not pajamas" I figured it was time to retire my office clothes of yore, which are well-worn and very very fugly. I hate shopping more than anything else out there and one of the only things that helped me get through the task was knowing I had this cake waiting for me back at home.
I once worked for a company that had what I can confidently declare the strangest food days ever. Tables would be laden with gallon jars of gigantic dill pickles, sausages of dubious origin, canned sardines, and candies flavored like the durian fruit (which is the foulest fruit I have ever  met - if you ever come into contact with one, trust me, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction). So, imagine my surprise when one day an unassuming bundt cake was spotted amongst all of that weirdness.
It wasn't so surprising that I dove right for the cake, but I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. I mean, the bundt cake was beautiful to look at, but there was no frosting! To me, chocolate cake without chocolate frosting was unheard of. Well, I didn't miss it. Especially after I followed my friend's advice and put my slice in the microwave to melt the chocolate chips inside the cake. Uh huh, you read that right -- chocolate chips, all melty inside the cake. 
So please excuse the strong language, but this just isn't any chocolate cake, it's darn good chocolate cake! I can't say that I named the recipe, but I wholeheartedly agree with it, as you will too as soon as you assemble the very few necessary ingredients and make your own (because I'm not sharing mine).
Darn Good Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 box Devil's Food or Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
1 package chocolate instant pudding mix
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup oil
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (but who are we kidding, I add the whole darn bag)

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.) Grease and flour bundt pan.
3.) Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, water, and oil in mixing bowl. Beat for 1 minute on low -- stop and scrape sides of bowl -- increase speed and 2 to 3 minutes more. 
4.) Fold in chocolate chips, until well blended.
5.) Pour into pan and smooth (batter will be thick!)
6.) Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until top springs back when touched and sides start to pull away.

Cool plan on wire rack for 20 minutes. Separate cake from edge of pan with a knife and invert onto rack or serving dish. Cool completely or serve warm.

Note: In my opinion, the cake is served best warm. If the cake is cooled completely, I microwave individual slices for about 10 seconds to re-melt the chocolate chips.  

3 comments:

  1. AH!!! This is Anita's cake! I LOVE this cake and have made it on several occasions, always a big hit!!!! I concur about our strange food days. Remember the kitty litter cake? Oh, that was foul!!!! And what was Jim thinking in bringing his odd things? Ah, the memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Ha! I also remember the big jars of pickled eggs! Those were the days, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very 'darn good'

    I love the melty chocolate chips when you eat it. And, YES, I still love it without frosting...shocking. It looked dry, but in no way dissappointed!

    ReplyDelete